Monday, September 2, 2013

My first chocolate chip cookie attempt


After weeks of researching the best chocolate chip cookie recipes and months of  scraping together the ingredients, I finally got the nerve to bake these goodies.

I found the perfect recipe here and took a screen shot of it. I don't like writing down recipes only to lose them one way or another. I made a lot of improvisations, though because I didn't have some ingredients and equipment. Here they are:
  1. I ran out of brown sugar, so I just poured in 1 cup of white sugar instead of the 3/4 brown sugar and 1/4 white sugar recommended.
  2. I used imitation vanilla instead of real vanilla extract.
  3. Since I have no hand mixer or stand mixer (Oh Kitchen Aid, my dream!), I scoured the kitchen for a mixing device. I fretted that I'd have to use the egg beater to beat the cookie batter, but my salvation came in the form of an antiquated hand-cranked mixer. 
  4. Since we had no oven, I baked my cookies in our Turbo Roaster. I figured since it's an oven roaster, it'll work the same way. 
  5. I baked them cookies on a greased plate instead of the recommended baking tray lined with parchment paper.
  6. In lieu of chocolate chips, I chopped pieces off of a block of chocolate. The chocolate block was a cheaper alternative to a small package of chocolate chips.

Despite these major overhauls, I was able to make pretty darn delicious and chewy chocolate chip cookies.


Huge and chewy 

The first batch came in too big, palm-sized actually. I wanted to make big cookies so that each person gets one huge cookie instead of numerous small ones. 

When I pried the cookies off of the plate, I was somewhat dismayed that they had the consistency of cake. Nonetheless, I laid them out on the cooling rack. When I got back to them after a few minutes, the cookies have hardened to normal cookie consistency and I was pacified.  

I made a few more batches, trying different things: rolling them up like burritos(without the stuffing), folding them in half, baking a batch of normal-sized ones, etc. 



Folded up 

At the end of the day, I had fun and everyone said that they tasted good. Cate even woke up when she smelled the cookies. Only Jac refused; he consistently said no to all my offers of cookies. It's okay. I'll find something to bake for him.

Lesson learned: What I don't know now, I can always learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment