Saturday, September 21, 2013

My Shampoo Alternative: Baking Soda


I've been using shampoo religiously for years and years. Then, three months ago, I heard of "No 'Poo Revolution", where you stop using shampoo and look for a more organic and all-natural way to care for your locks. My first reaction was "Eww!! Gross!". I have been raised to shampoo my hair as part of my daily bath routine. On days when I don't wash my hair, I'd literally feel sick. So imagine how I felt after I was forbidden to take a full bath for 10 days after I gave birth!!

Anyhoo, as I read through the "No 'Poo" article, I was slowly converted to their side. Foregoing daily shampoo actually made a lot of sense. For one, commercial shampoo contains a lot of chemicals. And I mean a LOT!! Among these hard-to-pronounce chemicals are Sodium Laureth Sulfate (probably carcinogenic), Methylchloroisothiazolinone (a preservative, and is restricted in some countries), Ammonium Chloride (an eye irritant), Propylene Glycol (a skin irritant), and a host of articial fragrances. With daily use, these chemicals pile up on your hair and can even affect your health in minute ways.

Second, shampoos are expensive. Well, the ones that I like are, anyway. ^___^ By banishing shampoo from my grocery list, I could save by the thousands in a year.

People approach the "No 'Poo Revolution" in varying ways. Some totally stop using shampoo; others use an alternative, like baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Others only wash their hair once a week with commercial shampoo or baking soda & apple cider vinegar.

This is the approach I chose to take: I use baking soda on my hair every other day. I hold out til the last possible moment to use commercial shampoo. I went for 3 months with just the baking soda but I noticed that my hair tend to build up on oil. By the third month, my hair was healthy but heavy with oil. I know that this is supposed to happen,and the scalp will eventually adjust the production of sebum as need by the hair. This can take up to 6 months. Unfortunately for me, I am not a patient person. Thus, I give in to commercial shampoo occasionally.

Here is my baking soda shampoo recipe:

1 tbsp of baking soda
8 oz of warm water
1 bottle

Instructions:

1. Mix the baking soda with water. Stir and let cool to room temperature.
2. Pour into the bottle.

Viola! Baking soda shampoo

No brainer right? And this probably costs less than P10! Granted that this could only last you 3 or 4 days.

Caution: The solution may sting when it comes in contact with eyes.

If you find that the baking soda dries out your hair, you can forego its daily use and wash your hair with it only every other day. You can also decrease the amount of baking soda you put in.

Let me know how you did by posting your comments below.

**Update: One of my Facebook friends, Sheila, shared her 'no poo' experience:

"I loved 'no poo' especially the effects it had on my hair & budget! 

I was already on the EVERY 4 days of using baking soda & vinegar (as my conditioner). Well, I have naturally wavy fine strands that lack luster but with 'no poo' my strands felt th
icker, my natural waves started to have body & shine, which my mom, sisters & hubby noticed. The start wasn't easy especially on the oily phase that lasted 3-4 weeks plus my brother made fun saying that I was into voodoo. But mamang, sisters & hubby were very supportive. Also, I was able to convince my mom & youngest sister to try & they loved the results.

Aside from the mentioned improvements the idea of not having all those chemicals (from shampoo & conditioner) in my system plus the "cheapness" of BS & vinegar were major major major bonuses! Since I was on the every 4 days of using BS & vinegar phase already I had extra minutes to snooze comfortably every morning. Yes, the idea of not having to wash my hair everyday was gross at first but then after the "oily phase" all else became hassle & tangle free.

However, I decided to stop to observe 'cause I started to experience hairfall after 3 months of 'no poo-ing.' Anyhow, the hairfall was NOT related to 'no poo' but to a medical condition. Thanks God I'm now completely healed. But then again I might give 'no poo' another shot soon. Very soon. 



1 comment:

  1. I tried it but never pursued because I find my hair afterwards dull and lifeless. But reading your write up, I might reconsider it. I used baking soda as my deodorant now. It did great. I feel dry under even if I'm sweating plus it can prevent body odor. I don't use now commercial deodorants and attest to BS capacity to do so. I'm a follower now.

    ReplyDelete